Soft Robotics designs and builds soft robotic gripping systems and automation solutions that can grasp and manipulate items of varying size, shape and weight with the same tool.* We solve previously off-limits automation challenges for customers in food & beverage, advanced manufacturing and e-commerce.
Robust patent portfolio covering 10 issued, 25 pending Harvard University and 21 company owned applications
Customers: Fortune 500 customers include Just Born Quality Confections (maker of Peeps), a large global pizza retailer, consumer goods manufacturer, and e-commerce company
Development: Pipeline of innovation from
George Whitesides’ lab at Harvard University
Unique Technology: By leveraging the properties of soft and compliant materials, Soft Robotics is able to build a fundamentally new set of self-adaptive and dexterous robotic hands that enable a new generation of robotic systems that do not require sensors or other electromechanical device
Soft Robotics is the key to unlocking automation for all markets
Human hand-like dexterity: Designed to mimic the human hand to grasp and manipulate items that vary in size, shape, and weight.
Smart materials: Novel approach solves problem through material science, not through higher levels of cost and complexity.
Plug and play: Turnkey solution that unlocks the transformational benefits of automation for all markets.
- Advanced the technology and scaled manufacturing to meet automation standards of Fortune 100 companies
- First production installations in advanced manufacturing and food automation
- Granted Japanese FDA certification for food handling
- Piloting ecommerce solution, SuperPick, with key customers
- Technology recognized as a 2018 CES Innovation Award nominee in the Robotics & Drones category
- Named to the RBR50: Robotic Business Review’s ranking of industry leading robotic companies
- Named to the THRIVE AgTech Top 50: Ranking of top agtech companies shaping the future of agriculture
- 2017 MassTLC Winner for Most Innovative Tech of the Year: Robotics
- Soft Robotics Awarded as Technology Pioneer by World Economic Forum
Named to the RBR50: Robotic Business Review’s ranking of industry leading robotic companies 2017 & 2018
Prof. George Whitesides of the Whitesides Research Group at Harvard University invented the “Pneu-Net” soft robotics actuator as part of the DARPA ChemBots program.
Soft Robotics Inc. is born in July, acquiring exclusive licensing of the Whitesides portfolio (11 issued patents, 25 pending Harvard and 21 company owned applications). Receives grants from DARPA to mature the technology.
After advancing the platform and proving it can work in a variety of potential markets, SRI focuses on industrial automation. Raises Series A in December.
Production installations in food, advanced manufacturing and e-commerce running 24/7 for billions of cycles. Customers include Fortune 500 companies and Dow 30 components.