Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Cambridge, MA that designs and builds grippers, gripper controllers, and autonomous manipulation systems that can handle items of varying size, shape and weight with a single device. By leveraging the science of soft robotic actuators, it is now possible to automate facilities that have traditionally depended on manual labor for bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks.
The Applications Engineer position is a key customer support function within the commercial organization of Soft Robotics. The person is expected to work very closely with customers to best understand their technical needs during the pre-sale process and effectively translates customer needs to design requirements in partnership with the product development team. Post sales, the role quickly transitions to providing product training and helping the customer get the most out of Soft Robotics products in the shortest feasible time. Key areas of responsibilities include pre-sale support, project engineering, post-sales and service support, product training, tradeshow and marketing support and creating necessary documentation.
- Partner with sales team to determine customer requirements
- Build and test End of Arm Tooling (EOAT) prototypes for applications; Demonstrate performance capability, develop robot programs to verify application feasibility
- Own technical relationship with customer
- Simultaneously manage multiple customer projects to ensure that all relevant technical information is documented
- Simultaneously manage multiple customer projects to enable on time product delivery
- Provide applications engineering support (robot setup and testing) for development engineering
Post-sales and service support:
- Support on-site installs and maintenance
- Provide phone (tech) support and troubleshooting for customers
- Provide onsite training for customers
- Provide training at Soft Robotics for new employees and customers
Tradeshows and Marketing support:
- Design, build, program tradeshow systems
- Represent Soft Robotics as technical expert in booths
- Provide applications engineering support (incl. creating use case videos) to marketing team
- Ensure technical manuals are correct and complete
- Develop application notes to expand on manuals as needed
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. Specialization in robotics preferred
- Minimum 3 years experience working in Applications Engineering role required
- Experience in robotics automation highly preferred
- Ability to program and work with robots typically used in industrial or general automation (e.g., one or more of ABB, Fanuc, Kuka, Yashakwa) required
- Experience with industrial I/O and 3D design modeling tools required. Solidworks experience preferred
- Vision system experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience using MS Office products required
- Experience working with SalesForce.Com preferred
- Start-up experience preferred
- Positive can do attitude with a passionate customer focused problem solving approach required
Job Type: Full-time
To apply, send resume and if applicable, a portfolio of your work to: email@example.com
Soft Robotics Inc. is located in the Greater Boston Area; no relocation assistance will be provided.
No third party agents; only direct applicants will be considered.
Soft Robotics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Soft Robotics Inc. will not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We are an E-Verify Employer.