Senior Food Market Manager
Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Cambridge, MA that designs and builds grippers, gripper controllers, and autonomous manipulation systems that can handle items of varying size, shape and weight with a single device. By leveraging the science of soft robotic actuators, it is now possible to automate facilities that have traditionally depended on manual labor for bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks.
The primary responsibility of this position is to help develop and execute the Soft Robotics Food Market Development and Management Strategy to maximize share capture of the $2B addressable food market. This role will also be responsible for understanding user needs and Voice of the Customer, leading new product development and product launches, product life cycle management, portfolio analysis, customer segmentation / prioritization, positioning and competitive analysis.
Market Management and Business Management (65%)
Develop and execute Soft Robotics market development strategy for the Food Industry vertical. Partner with internal and external communication resources to drive relevant product marketing message through all communication channels. This includes:
- Design, develop and execute necessary market research and competitive analyses to identify and/or validate strategic direction as well as maintain and update Food Industry Market analysis (segments and high priority customer lists, growth niche for automation, competitive landscape, addressable and captured revenues)
- Develop customer champion build and nurturing strategy in the Food Industry vertical
- Partner with internal and external resources to help Soft Robotics create a strong end-user pull to solve automation problems they cannot solve today
- Develop and drive Sales Training programs
- Sharpen and drive Soft Robotics Integrator Partner Program
- Partner with internal and external resources to support development and execution of Soft Robotics tactical programs designed to maximize brand equity and achieve sustainable growth
Product Management and New Product Development (25%)
Partner with the CTO organization to provide marketing leadership to the product development process. This includes:
- Market research to identify unmet needs, collecting Voice of the Customer (VOC) to better understand the job that integrators and end-users are looking to solve through one on one interviews, surveys, ethnographic research, etc.
- Use VOC results to develop User Needs and lead effort to translate User Needs into Design Inputs.
- Lead Validation of User Needs prior to commercialization.
- Work with Product Development Teams and Applications Engineering to take the lead on necessary collateral development (white papers, advertisements, techniques, videos, animation, launch package development, etc….)
- Maintain bug-list for Soft Robotics products and collaborate with Product Development to prioritize improvements for existing and new product releases.
- Market research (technologies, competitive positions, pricing, segmentation, positioning, etc…) to support new product opportunities.
Financial Management (10%)
Responsible for interfacing with cross-functional teams to ensure existing product portfolio is current and necessary (Product Life Cycle Management):
- Analyze product costs, develop forecasts, establish list pricing
- Forecast demand and plan supply requirements.
- B.S. engineering required. Electrical Engineering preferred. Other physical disciplines considered (Mechanical, Materials Science, Industrial). MBA strongly preferred.
- 3+ years engineering experience required; 2+ years market development and/or business strategy experience required
- Experience launching new products and working at a start-up company preferred
- Management Consulting experience with focus on sales and marketing preferred
- Experience with companies in industrial automation preferred
- Proven track record in user needs assessment that translated into a successful new product offering
- Experience with CRMs such as Salesforce is a plus
- Comfortable working in an unstructured and rapidly changing environment
- Excellent track record in establishing solid business relationships with internal and external partners
- Self-Motivated and Results Driven with strong Analytical Skills and Communication Skills
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Personable, Energetic, Responsive, Confident and Honest
- Ability to travel up to 30%
Job Type: Full-time
To apply, send resume and if applicable, a portfolio of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Soft Robotics Inc. is located in the Greater Boston Area; no relocation assistance will be provided.
No third party agents; only direct applicants will be considered.
Soft Robotics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Soft Robotics Inc. will not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We are an E-Verify Employer.