Principal Software Engineer
Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Cambridge, MA that designs, manufactures, and sells pneumatic grippers, high-performance gripper control systems, and integrated manipulation solutions. By leveraging our patented soft robotic actuator technology, it is now possible to automate applications that have traditionally depended solely on human labor for the execution of bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks.
We are looking to hire a Principal Software Engineer to participate in R&D and Product Development activities as we bring to market high-value automation solutions that leverage computer vision, object recognition, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and cloud computing.
The ideal candidate is an experienced software engineer who is equally comfortable working on software-only projects as well as those that interface with sensors and actuators via USB, SPI, digital I/O, etc. He/she will work on a variety of customer-focused projects throughout the product development life cycle, from initial proofs of concept through robust production-ready implementations.
- Design and develop software that interfaces with cameras, sensors, industrial manipulators and other electromechanical devices;
- Develop software across the continuum from low-level control to user-facing applications;
- Participate in advancing the state-of-the-art for control of our patented soft robotic systems;
- Work with a cross-functional engineering team and other company stakeholders to identify new product concepts;
- Design for safety, manufacturability, reliability and test;
- Develop and execute test procedures;
- Support manufacturing and product enhancements;
- Participate in risk management and technical roadmap activities;
- Participate in design reviews and document development activities per established product development process;
- Mentor junior engineers and interns/coops;
- Other duties as required.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent;
- 3+ years of professional software development experience;
- Proficiency in either C/C++ or Python and demonstrable experience with both;
- Comfortable developing software in a Linux environment;
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Proficiency in the creation and maintenance of documentation;
- Demonstrated track record of exceptional individual performance in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to details;
- Ability to work independently but also thrives in highly integrated team environments.
- 7+ years of experience in product development organizations ideally working under a certified quality system;
- Experience with "best practices" such as issue tracking, static code checking, and automated testing;
- Experience with a web development framework such a Rails or Django;
- Experience with UI/UX design and development;
- Versatility in other disciplines (Mechanical and Electrical Engineering) or “Maker” experience is highly desired;
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements for software development in a commercial/industrial setting;
- Familiarity with microprocessor/microcontroller systems desired; FW development experience a plus;
- Ability to execute complex assembly and test procedures and gather data;
- A passion for robotics is preferred!
Job Type: Full-time
To apply, send resume and if applicable, a portfolio of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Soft Robotics Inc. is located in the Greater Boston Area; no relocation assistance will be provided.
No third party agents; only direct applicants will be considered.
Soft Robotics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Soft Robotics Inc. will not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We are an E-Verify Employer.