Senior Mechanical Engineer
Soft Robotics Inc. is a venture-backed startup in Cambridge, MA that designs and builds grippers, gripper controllers, and autonomous manipulation systems that can handle items of varying size, shape and weight with a single device. By leveraging the science of soft robotic actuators, it is now possible to automate facilities that have traditionally depended on manual labor for bin picking, order fulfillment, and other complex pick and place tasks.
As we continue to improve our product, we have an immediate need to augment the Engineering and Product Development team with a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This new addition will be responsible for the design, testing, debug, verification and validation of entire new products as well as iteration of existing products, systems, subsystems, and components in the industrial automation space. Some examples are complex mechanisms, soft robotic actuators, mechanical power transmission, structural components, and electronics packaging.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the robotics and industrial automation fields and will be experienced designing complex systems that incorporate embedded electronics, mechanisms, and pneumatics.
At a minimum, he/she will have significant experience with product design, development, and transfer to manufacturing. Ideally, the candidate will also be comfortable participating in new technology and product concept development.
The candidate chosen will be fluent in Solidworks for 3D modeling, simulation, and drawing creation and may also have experience using MATLAB or Python for mathematical analysis.
The ability to work in a machine shop/lab is an important quality for the person who lands this role as is familiarity with various 3D printing, laser cutting, using hand and small power tools, and other rapid prototyping techniques.
The chosen candidate will fancy themselves a systems engineer, or even better a robotics engineer, with the strongest discipline being Mechanical Engineering. They will be a high-powered individual contributor that thrives when working as part of a tightly integrated, multidisciplinary team.
- Design mechanical systems and subsystems. Perform 3D modeling, simulation, and analysis;
- Design for safety, manufacturability, reliability and test in accordance with domestic and international standards;
- System test and debug;
- Design verification and validation;
- Support manufacturing and test;
- Participate in risk management and control: Perform Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA);
- Participate in design reviews and document development activities per established product development processes;
- Other duties as required.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering required with preference given to holders of advanced degree(s)
- 3+ years of experience with a demonstrated track record of exceptional individual performance in a fast-paced product development organization
- Experience with pneumatic systems, robotics and automation, or other complex electromechanical systems is strongly desired
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements for industrial automation products desired
- Proficient in the creation and maintenance of quality documentation
- Has strong interpersonal skills and thrives in a highly-integrated team environment but can also work independently without supervision
- Is generally methodical, detail oriented, and well organized
- Excellent time management skills and comfort when working in a fast paced environment on multiple, simultaneous projects
Job Type: Full-time
To apply, send resume and if applicable, a portfolio of your work to: email@example.com
Soft Robotics Inc. is located in the Greater Boston Area; no relocation assistance will be provided.
No third party agents; only direct applicants will be considered.
Soft Robotics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Soft Robotics Inc. will not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We are an E-Verify Employer.